Monday, September 8, 2008

Routine Creativity

Can creativity been made part of your daily routine? I have spent my whole life trying not to have a routine. I don't like to do the same thing everyday. I get bored. I like to be spontaneous and go with the flow. As I get older and have more responsibilities, that becomes increasingly more difficult to do without neglecting something or other. I have long felt that creativity and spontaneity walked hand in hand. The idea of a routine life meant a dull, uninspired life, where nothing new ever happens. But I'm finding that without a routine I can't get things done. I have to establish a creative routine.

I found this article. It makes some good points about the connection between consistent effort and quality results.

I wanted to get some input from all the creative geniuses visiting my blog. What do you do to work creativity into your routine?

3 comments:

Ben (the bread winner) said...

You know it's a good article when you have to read some sentences more than once to understand them. Excellent find.

Dylan Todd said...

Thanks for flagging this. It helped me out of my blogfunk, so it's all your fault, basically. I posted a response over on my blog which can be accessed here.

None said...

Ah, a routine. Wouldn't that be great. The problem is that the idea of having a routine infers that you know exactly what you'll be doing at 10am, at noon o'clock, or 8pm, etc. Let alone have conductive working conditions in what little free time you have. I'm with Dylan, if routine stands for just go and do it, then I'm in.

I also find that simply having expectations/deadlines or a reason to create keeps me moving. The blog does that for me. If I want something to post, well I better make something.

I also like the line in the article that talks about how our minds only find solutions when there are problems. I try to keep a list of the projects I want to work on, just so I can dream about how cool they would be. Some may never get created but the thought process of solving them often leads to answers for other problems. +