Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Monkey Script Update

My highly informed typography enthusiast friend Brandt found some info about the font I posted earlier. This is what he said:

Turns out Monkey Script has a lengthy and quite famous history. It was originally called Civilite. Apparently the face began in 1556. Back then it looked more like thick calligraphy, but by the 1590s it was adopted and cut into lead, turning most cuts into what your sample shows. Of course a number of people have redrawn the face but returned the letters back to their original forms, not with ink bleed compensation.

2 comments:

None said...

Wow that Brandt character really must know what he's talking about. What a stud muffin.

Dylan Todd said...

I dunno. I heard that Brandt goes on the internet and like talks about how great he is.

That guy Dylan would never do that. He's just so, I dunno, so humble and handsome and talented and stuff.

And handsome. Did I mention that? Because he is. Handsome, that is. Very. Handsome.