Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Urban Homestead



Mary bought me this book for Christmas last year. I have really enjoyed it! I've always been a fan of books about self sufficiency. You know the kind. The ones that show you how to build your own log cabin, tan leather, raise goats and make furniture from raw timber. Stuff like that. But most of that stuff is out of reach at this point in my life. It ends up just being frustrating for me to read them.

This book is geared towards people living on small lots, or apartments. There are all kinds of good stuff, like tips of growing plants in buckets, making cheese, raising (small) livestock in urban areas, and more. I've done quite a few projects from this book, including making fresh cheese, and creating my own sourdough starter. Both were very tasty and fulfilling. And I didn't need to have more than 10 acres of land to do either!

No comments: